the transparent eyeball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Physical Limitations and You. =D

+6
Angel
Kenny
Fermin Liu
Hannah Park
joyceychen
shawanne
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Physical Limitations and You. =D Empty Physical Limitations and You. =D

Post  shawanne Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:59 pm

...Very Happy

So. Physical limitations. I'm not sure if people have already touched on this in other topics already, but might as well just throw this out here for now: What kinds of 'limitations' are there, really? Are physical limitations really limitations, and how can we get past these 'obstacles' to get ourselves on track and to get in control of our lives? Remember when Ms. Kay had made the example of trying to make the desk break by just merely thinking? Yeah. That.

...I know there's like, several mini questions tied up all together in there to the big one, aaaand...I'll come back later to make it clearer if people don't really get it. [/chores]

So...reply? =D

[[P.S. What do you guys think of the signature? I think it kind of ties in to the topic...or maybe not...o.o; Okay ignore this Razz]]

[[P.P.S. Forums coming up in like...two hours. Very Happy]]

FORUM ONE: http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?p=5597473#post5597473

FORUM TWO: http://www.martialdevelopment.com/blog/transcending-subjective-reality/comment-page-1/#comment-10241

Very Happy

Last edited by shawanne on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
shawanne
shawanne

Back to top Go down

Physical Limitations and You. =D Empty Re: Physical Limitations and You. =D

Post  joyceychen Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:27 pm

signature:
first part reminds me of Janie, how she follows her dreams til the end and reach somewhere most black women never reach
second part reminds me of spiral dynamics. each time we evolve/shift, we reach a new meme, which is somewhere unprecedented
joyceychen
joyceychen

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannah Park Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:32 pm

Hi ~~

I did wonder about the whole concept of physical limitations, and I realized something. One might not be able to break a table directly through the sheer power of wishful thinking, but the table could be suffering from a bad leg, and a huge gust of wind might make break. One might wish to experience flying (without airplanes), but one cannot grow wings and fly...but one could win a visit to NASA's zero gravity room. One might fall from the 20th floor and live; a really tall tree, a hundred ballons tied together, or a huge trampoline on the 15th floor balcony (that just happen to stick out more than other balconies from 16-19th floor) might break the fall.

The thing is, what we might think as physical limitations now, could very well not be a limitation 30 years from now. Life is unpredictable, and random things happen all the time. People once thought flying would be physically impossible for humans, but now some people fly on airplanes on a regular basis. People thought going to the moon is something only the divine could do (asian mythology Wink ), yet there are people who have been the moon, and walked on its surface! Clones were once something that only existed in a sci-fi book, but then Dolly came; maybe all those other things depictured in sci-fis could come true in the future! (Telepathy, telekinetics...alien contact).

In conclusion, there simply can be no limitations put on what could be, unless you are from the future. (which means time travel is not a physical limitation!)
Hannah Park
Hannah Park

Back to top Go down

Post  Fermin Liu Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:12 pm

Hey Shawanne! Very Happy

What kinds of 'limitations' are there, really? Are physical limitations really limitations, and how can we get past these 'obstacles' to get ourselves on track and to get in control of our lives? Remember when Ms. Kay had made the example of trying to make the desk break by just merely thinking?

I like your question because it is practical and applies to basically everything with a physcial embodiment. Very Happy First off, there is only really one physical limitation that prevents us from acheiving our full, infinite potential--the ego-mind. The ego-mind, with its scientific attitude and skeptical, fear-driven character, is the reason why we experience death, why we cannot SEE the interconnectivity of everything. If we shut down the ego-mind and connect to the Universal Being, then we will believe without a doubt that anything is possible. We will be enpowered by such an epiphany that the creative potential that springs from such faith will be able to accomplish anything. Like Sri Chinmoy who lifted a seemingly impossible amount of weights with just meditating, we will be able to do what we used to think are impossible. Smile

Physical limitations or bounds are not really limitations, they are just illusions of the dull mind. If our senses were keen enough, then we would be able to visualize the energy that essentially makes up the solids and our relationship with that energy and every energy--that we can alter it however we want because we are all ONE BEING. Smile Let's say I'm about to jump off a cliff. Looking at the situation superficially (physically,) my physical body would fall down and hit a giant rock or something which would cause both internal and external bleeding until I either bleed to death or stop breathing because the fall also injured my diaphragm. Yet, on an essence level, where I'm the cliff and I'm the rock and vice versa, my energy is already at the bottom of the cliff before I've jumped, and then even when I have fallen down, my energy can be both at the bottom and at the edge of the cliff. This is what it means to be interconnected--we are all ONE; there are no separations of time or space or anything between each of us--I am EVERYTHING. Very Happy

So even though nothing has really occurred on the nonlocal domain, there might be death if we do hit that rock on our way down. Our physical bodies cannot prevent or cheat the cycle of the physical body: life-death-life-death... Eventually, our physical bodies will die. However, because we have infinite potential in our hands, we may be able to allow something seemingly 'miraculous' to happen to us--we can be that one in a million. When we jump down the cliff, there might be a strong wind that blows us to a safe landing, or we might miss the giant rock on the bottom, and just survive with minor injuries. I just read what Hannah wrote about the table with the bad leg, and that is exactly what I am talking about. The probability of something happening may seem tiny (if we look at it mathematically), but there is ALWAYS A possibility of that thing actually happening. We may jump off a cliff and survive without a single scrath because there was a pool of water down below that was very deep and calm. Laughing Thus, all we can really do is believe--believe without a SINGLE doubt. We learn to quiet the ego-mind's worries and skeptisim through meditation and other exercises of observing its paranoia, and from there, we begin to connect more with Essence, acknowledgeing our interconnectivity and our infinte potential, and finally, we believe in it so strongly that we will start to be able to USE it to our advantage on a day to day basis. Very Happy
Fermin Liu
Fermin Liu

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:57 pm

Fermin, this is not a personal attack or anything, but there are a lot of problems I see with your thinking so I just want to point some things out.

Fermin Liu wrote:

I like your question because it is practical and applies to basically everything with a physcial embodiment. Very Happy First off, there is only really one physical limitation that prevents us from acheiving our full, infinite potential--the ego-mind. The ego-mind, with its scientific attitude and skeptical, fear-driven character, is the reason why we experience death, why we cannot SEE the interconnectivity of everything. If we shut down the ego-mind and connect to the Universal Being, then we will believe without a doubt that anything is possible. We will be enpowered by such an epiphany that the creative potential that springs from such faith will be able to accomplish anything. Like Sri Chinmoy who lifted a seemingly impossible amount of weights with just meditating, we will be able to do what we used to think are impossible. Smile

The ego-mind does prevent us from achieving our full potential, NOT because it is fear-driven, but because it is survival driven, its purpose is to help us survive. If we shut down the ego-mind and achieved full physical potential, we could die. Even if we believe anything is possible, we can still die. We will be empowered in mind and spirit, but not in body, and thus we still die. And that thing with Sri Chinmoy? Keyword: seemingly. Seemingly impossibly weights, because they aren't impossible, he probably quieted down the ego mind enough so that he could access a larger portion of the potential power the muscles have. As an estimate, I'd say that if I were to use my full muscular strength I could probably lift two or three cars. Oh but, I'd die.

Physical limitations or bounds are not really limitations, they are just illusions of the dull mind. If our senses were keen enough, then we would be able to visualize the energy that essentially makes up the solids and our relationship with that energy and every energy--that we can alter it however we want because we are all ONE BEING. Smile Let's say I'm about to jump off a cliff. Looking at the situation superficially (physically,) my physical body would fall down and hit a giant rock or something which would cause both internal and external bleeding until I either bleed to death or stop breathing because the fall also injured my diaphragm. Yet, on an essence level, where I'm the cliff and I'm the rock and vice versa, my energy is already at the bottom of the cliff before I've jumped, and then even when I have fallen down, my energy can be both at the bottom and at the edge of the cliff. This is what it means to be interconnected--we are all ONE; there are no separations of time or space or anything between each of us--I am EVERYTHING. Very Happy

They are limitations that protect us. And yes I agree with you in that if our sense were keen enough to visualize the energy we could quite possibly change it. But our senses aren't. And the cliff scenario, jesus, jumping off a cliff is no small thing. You're body wouldn't have enough time to bleed or stop breathing, the moment it hits the ground you'll be reduced to so much bits and pieces of a casserole. Yes our energy is everywhere, and yes we're apart of everything, but that doesn't change the fact that once you turn into casserole you will still be very much dead.

So even though nothing has really occurred on the nonlocal domain, there might be death if we do hit that rock on our way down. Our physical bodies cannot prevent or cheat the cycle of the physical body: life-death-life-death... Eventually, our physical bodies will die. However, because we have infinite potential in our hands, we may be able to allow something seemingly 'miraculous' to happen to us--we can be that one in a million. When we jump down the cliff, there might be a strong wind that blows us to a safe landing, or we might miss the giant rock on the bottom, and just survive with minor injuries. I just read what Hannah wrote about the table with the bad leg, and that is exactly what I am talking about. The probability of something happening may seem tiny (if we look at it mathematically), but there is ALWAYS A possibility of that thing actually happening. We may jump off a cliff and survive without a single scrath because there was a pool of water down below that was very deep and calm. Laughing Thus, all we can really do is believe--believe without a SINGLE doubt. We learn to quiet the ego-mind's worries and skeptisim through meditation and other exercises of observing its paranoia, and from there, we begin to connect more with Essence, acknowledgeing our interconnectivity and our infinte potential, and finally, we believe in it so strongly that we will start to be able to USE it to our advantage on a day to day basis. Very Happy

Well, certainly we could be that one in a million, but think about what you're saying, ONE in a MILLION more likely than not, we won't be that one in a million, which means we die. Perhaps these "miracles" you think of are simply coincidences, people place bigger emphasis on things they deem remarkable, because they are biased in that they like it. What about the whole other host of things that aren't "miracles" like I kicked some dust, and it settled down, Or I ate a banana, and it was yellow. For every "miracle" that we spot, there are friggin trillions of other unmiracley things that we don't see.

Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post  shawanne Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:00 pm

Good discussion already, guys~

Hannah: Yup, it's still an unknown whether or not we'll ever find a cure for cancer or AIDS or end poverty, but seemingly 'impossible' things have been done before, so why not? ^^

Fermin: Quantum shift, mm? Very Happy But is all that needs to be done shutting the ego-mind up, or is there more to breaking through the barriers? :O. (I don't even know about this, so I might be wrong, but~limitless possibilities! Razz)

Keep going, ask questions, get insights! XD

Edit: I'll get back to Ken's~
shawanne
shawanne

Back to top Go down

Post  shawanne Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:10 pm

The ego-mind does prevent us from achieving our full potential, NOT because it is fear-driven, but because it is survival driven, its purpose is to help us survive. If we shut down the ego-mind and achieved full physical potential, we could die. Even if we believe anything is possible, we can still die. We will be empowered in mind and spirit, but not in body, and thus we still die. And that thing with Sri Chinmoy? Keyword: seemingly. Seemingly impossibly weights, because they aren't impossible, he probably quieted down the ego mind enough so that he could access a larger portion of the potential power the muscles have. As an estimate, I'd say that if I were to use my full muscular strength I could probably lift two or three cars. Oh but, I'd die.

...I'd have to say that is very unfortunately true x_X. Maybe you'd not like, DIE from lifting two cars [if you believe in it enough, like what Fermin said, but to a lesser degere], but it'll probably hospitalize you for a year. Probably. Mm.

Perhaps these "miracles" you think of are simply coincidences, people place bigger emphasis on things they deem remarkable, because they are biased in that they like it.

Are coincidences really coincidences, then, or does everything happen for a reason? I agree with the second part, but as cliched as it is I had to ask that first question. XD;
shawanne
shawanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Fermin Liu Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:27 pm

Kenneth Very Happy

Thanks for pointing out to me my mistakes! I really think that I've grown a lot mentally from reading your reply. But just to clarify somethings that I wrote--because it seems like you may have read them wrong or interpreted incorrectly--the following are a few points that I have identified as problems in your thinking:

Fermin

To that quote, I give you my quote from my previous post that you must have failed to see:

Our physical bodies cannot prevent or cheat the cycle of the physical body: life-death-life-death... Eventually, our physical bodies will die.

To you next two paragraphs...

They are limitations that protect us. And yes I agree with you in that if our sense were keen enough to visualize the energy we could quite possibly change it. But our senses aren't. And the cliff scenario, jesus, jumping off a cliff is no small thing. You're body wouldn't have enough time to bleed or stop breathing, the moment it hits the ground you'll be reduced to so much bits and pieces of a casserole. Yes our energy is everywhere, and yes we're apart of everything, but that doesn't change the fact that once you turn into casserole you will still be very much dead.

Well, certainly we could be that one in a million, but think about what you're saying, ONE in a MILLION more likely than not, we won't be that one in a million, which means we die. Perhaps these "miracles" you think of are simply coincidences, people place bigger emphasis on things they deem remarkable, because they are biased in that they like it. What about the whole other host of things that aren't "miracles" like I kicked some dust, and it settled down, Or I ate a banana, and it was yellow. For every "miracle" that we spot, there are friggin trillions of other unmiracley things that we don't see.

Like I have already said and stated in my last post, I'm pretty aware that death is INEVITABLE, so you problably just skipped that line somehow. Also, to your pessimistic comment about people might not 'be the one in a million,' isn't that what Ms. Kay has been trying to correct in our thinking? If we have doubts and fears, then we will restrict ourselves. If we only think that somethings are possible and somethings just happen by chance (a really small probability,) then we our limiting the INFINITE in the infinite potential. Our thoughts create reality in this energy soup of infinite potential. So if we focused on our essence--trying to attract what we desire with a similarenergy frequency--then ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. I know that that might sound too idealistic or too 'impossible,' but with a Universal Unconsciouness where we are all interconnected which would mean that we have each other's potential which would ultimately mean that we have all the potential in the world (quite literally), I don't think that I'm being wrong in my judgment on the INFINTE potential that we have. Infinite means endless or (for those of us who don't get what that means) as dictionary.com defines it, "immeasurably great, unlimited." So, I think that I'm going to stick to my idealistic belief of ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. Very Happy

Thanks for your corrections! Smile They are deeply appreciated. Laughing Smile Very Happy
Fermin Liu
Fermin Liu

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:30 pm

What kinds of 'limitations' are there, really? Are physical limitations really limitations, and how can we get past these 'obstacles' to get ourselves on track and to get in control of our lives?
I’m going to sound quite shallow when I say this – I do think that physical limitations really are limitations. What else are they? (Sorry for putting it so bluntly). I don’t know. I’m not really certain of the identity and universal definition of physical limitations, and I don’t think that they would suffice to project the bigger picture of what physical limitations actually stand as. The truth is, the physical objects are there; they sometimes stand in the way, and sometimes they do not. I think getting oneself “on track” in one’s own life and living life to its fullest, meaning, enjoying life, really, has to do with defeating limitations that are … of a more subtle nature. A subtle nature that is powerfully absorbent and “wrapped up” in its own manner nevertheless. These obstacles, I think, are mostly not physical in form (not all the time, that is), but largely affect one’s mental state, decisions, actions, etc. These are true obstacles to attaining a peaceful life.
Angel
Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:41 pm

[quote="Fermin Liu"]
To that quote, I give you my quote from my previous post that you must have failed to see:

Our physical bodies cannot prevent or cheat the cycle of the physical body: life-death-life-death... Eventually, our physical bodies will die.

I saw that, but I thought you were referring to death as in death from old age, not like death from jumping off cliffs. xD
But yeah I just a bunch of stuff about defying death somehow and I thought it seemed kinda contradictory, maybe I did understand it wrong then. If that's the case, apologies, and thanks for clearing things up.

Also, to your pessimistic comment about people might not 'be the one in a million,' isn't that what Ms. Kay has been trying to correct in our thinking? If we have doubts and fears, then we will restrict ourselves. If we only think that somethings are possible and somethings just happen by chance (a really small probability,) then we our limiting the INFINITE in the infinite potential. Our thoughts create reality in this energy soup of infinite potential. So if we focused on our essence--trying to attract what we desire with a similarenergy frequency--then ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. I know that that might sound too idealistic or too 'impossible,' but with a Universal Unconsciouness where we are all interconnected which would mean that we have each other's potential which would ultimately mean that we have all the potential in the world (quite literally), I don't think that I'm being wrong in my judgment on the INFINTE potential that we have. Infinite means endless or (for those of us who don't get what that means) as dictionary.com defines it, "immeasurably great, unlimited." So, I think that I'm going to stick to my idealistic belief of ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. Very Happy

I wouldn't say my comment is pessimistic, I'm just being realistic and giving the facts. There is no right or wrong thinking, Ms Kay has not been correcting our thinking, she has simply been showing us another way to think. And yes, doubts and fears restrict ourselves, and for good reason, if we were to believe that anything was possible, we would probably try things that people would normally consider impossible and quite possibly end our stories there. Our thoughts don't create reality, they define our own reality. That's the closest we will ever get to changing it. I think that the infinite potential you are referring to is in thought only and does not extend to the physical, so sure, you could believe that anything is possible and that human potential is unlimited, but that will not change the physical reality that IS.

Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post  Fermin Liu Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:56 pm

but that will not change the physical reality that IS.

I completely disagree with your last line, Kenneth. Smile If the physical is made out of energy, and energy on the nonlocal domain is infinite in potential, then the physical reality MUST be changeable. Isn't the physical what our minds perceive but not what our essence feels? Physical reality is more an illusion of the mind than a real reality--because as proven, everyone perceives the world somewhat differently. WAIT!!!

Actually, I agree with you, Kenneth. Laughing Death is the physical reality that governs the life of any physical body, and that will never change. Everything dies eventually. Even though death may not exist in the nonlocal domain, it does inthe physical domain. But then why do we have infinite potential if we can't change the physical? Very Happy
Fermin Liu
Fermin Liu

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:00 pm

Fermin Liu wrote:But then why do we have infinite potential if we can't change the physical? Very Happy

O.o Good question, well, perhaps it's actually a lot harder to influence the physical world than we actually think, maybe there are a lot more factors than just the existence and connection of the energy itself. I wouldn't know for sure. All I can do on this is speculate xD

Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post  shawanne Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:07 pm

But then why do we have infinite potential if we can't change the physical?

Interesting question there. Maybe the physical DOES change, except it changes in much more subtle ways; for example, [and I'm only using this one 'cause I can't think of any atm, will probably change later] if you want the rock in front of you to disappear, it will not simply just vanish in one day. It will be weathered down by rock over years and years and finally disappear when enough time has passed. So what does this mean? Perhaps it's just a metaphor for having a better attitude on life, to notice the small things and accumulate the positive energy up in order to live a happy life--that obstacles exist, just that if we have better attitudes they will somehow seem...less scary? Less of an obstacle?

...Something like that. o0; Wow that just came out of nowhere O.o. What do you guys think?
shawanne
shawanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannah Park Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:18 pm

shawanne wrote: . Maybe the physical DOES change, except it changes in much more subtle ways; for example, [and I'm only using this one 'cause I can't think of any atm, will probably change later] if you want the rock in front of you to disappear, it will not simply just vanish in one day. It will be weathered down by rock over years and years and finally disappear when enough time has passed. So what does this mean? Perhaps it's just a metaphor for having a better attitude on life, to notice the small things and accumulate the positive energy up in order to live a happy life--that obstacles exist, just that if we have better attitudes they will somehow seem...less scary? Less of an obstacle?

Perhaps infinite potential is just a better attitude to helps us enjoy life, to not use fate as a scapegoat and actually deal with a situation. It does sound awesome: nothing can stop you if you put your mind to it! Don't people say that the wall is not there to stop you, but for you to climb over? Someone who think binomial theorems are a physical impossibility and hates Fate for putting Algebra II in the curriculum will never improve as much as someone who thinks binomial thoerems are stupid, yes, but accept it as a challenge, not a torture device. (10B ppl, remember to study them for finals xD)

Just because it's fun, I will think of ways that the rock can just vanish in one day. It could get hit by a lightening and evaporate. It could get eaten by a goat to aid in digestion. It could be taken as a souvenier from an extraterrestrial visitor. A volcano could erupt, and the lava could melt the rock. (This if fun ~) Finally, the rock is fact not a rock, but Harry Potter who accidentally transfigured himself into a rock and is waiting for Hermione to rescue him and one that particular day, Hermione (and Ron) finally tracks down the rock that is Harry and transfigures him back. OR Ron accidentally sat on the rock, so he got angry and Vanishes it. (Do not doubt the infinite possibility of fictional characters being real!! xD jk...it's more like infinite IMpossibilty, or does that make me anti-trans because I'm being "realisticic")
Hannah Park
Hannah Park

Back to top Go down

Post  shawanne Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:28 pm

Perhaps infinite potential is just a better attitude to helps us enjoy life, to not use fate as a scapegoat and actually deal with a situation. It does sound awesome: nothing can stop you if you put your mind to it! Don't people say that the wall is not there to stop you, but for you to climb over? Someone who think binomial theorems are a physical impossibility and hates Fate for putting Algebra II in the curriculum will never improve as much as someone who thinks binomial thoerems are stupid, yes, but accept it as a challenge, not a torture device. (10B ppl, remember to study them for finals xD)

Yup. Where there's a will, there's a way, mm?

Keep the discussion going, people~
shawanne
shawanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Fermin Liu Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:38 pm

Because accepting something instead of fighting it will open more possibilities. When we accept something, we will open our being to connect with its being, and then soon, we will like that something and understand it intuitively and be good at it (in the case of binomial theorem). Howver, by rejecting it as impossible, we are not even giving ourselves or the thing the chance to get to know its being, and thus, we will never learn--we will just be ignorant. So, we have to be open-minded and accepting to fully FEEL Essence. Very Happy
Fermin Liu
Fermin Liu

Back to top Go down

Post  anita Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:48 pm

Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world —Arthur Schopenhauer

People have said, oh, that’s impossible. But then, that is only their definition of “impossible. ” People have challenged the seemingly “impossible,” such as Sri Chimnoy. Just because it appears impossible now does not mean it will always be impossible. Technology.

Perhaps it's just a metaphor for having a better attitude on life, to notice the small things and accumulate the positive energy up in order to live a happy life--that obstacles exist, just that if we have better attitudes they will somehow seem...less scary? Less of an obstacle?

To cherish the little details around us, and look on the brighter side of things. If we have better attitudes, we might not even view them as “obstacles.” Rather, they are the factors that are there to guide us and to constantly push ourselves further. I'd like to think that everything happens for a reason. When we hear the word "obstacles", a negative connotation comes into mind. But don't you also learn with the obstacles? As a result, you grow inwardly. So, obstacle is something that hinders progress. But that's only in a certain area. Who said you aren't growing in other areas? With obstacles, don't you have to think harder, even critically think, since there is something blocking you? Just because you can't grow wings now does not mean you won't grow in other areas while trying to attempt something similar. (okay weird example Razz) You may have exposed yourself to beliefs that you have never known before, learned more about humans while you research, and more. You also learn more about yourself, as you explore the passion and curiosity within you.

Don't people say that the wall is not there to stop you, but for you to climb over?

That reminds me of Randy Pausch, who has talked about the walls as not existing there to keep us out, but rather, they are there to give us the opportunity to verify how badly we want something, and to block the others who do not want it badly enough.
anita
anita

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:58 pm

anita wrote:
That reminds me of Randy Pausch, who has talked about the walls as not existing there to keep us out, but rather, they are there to give us the opportunity to verify how badly we want something, and to block the others who do not want it badly enough.

LOL, that's just some quote a motivational speaker would tell us to get us onto our feet. In reality, the walls are just walls, they really don't give a damn what you think about them. WE might attribute some purpose to them being there, but they aren't really there to stop us, they're just there cuz they're there. Randy Pausch is right in the motivational sense; this quote DOES stir people into action, but he's wrong when this is taken in the context of a physical reality. I mean come on, the wall's already got enough to worry about on its own, give it a break and stop trying to figure out what it's there for, it doesn't need us to tell it what it is.

Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post  hen Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:55 pm

Here's what I think:
Taking from things I've mentioned 2 weeks back in bradley's topic, the key is within the domains.
Here in the physical domain, we are subject to its rules, which are limiting unlike the rules of the other domains (which may have no rules). So physically, there are definitely limitations.

Hannah wrote:I did wonder about the whole concept of physical limitations, and I realized something. One might not be able to break a table directly through the sheer power of wishful thinking, but the table could be suffering from a bad leg, and a huge gust of wind might make break. One might wish to experience flying (without airplanes), but one cannot grow wings and fly...but one could win a visit to NASA's zero gravity room. One might fall from the 20th floor and live; a really tall tree, a hundred ballons tied together, or a huge trampoline on the 15th floor balcony (that just happen to stick out more than other balconies from 16-19th floor) might break the fall.

The thing is, what we might think as physical limitations now, could very well not be a limitation 30 years from now. Life is unpredictable, and random things happen all the time. People once thought flying would be physically impossible for humans, but now some people fly on airplanes on a regular basis. People thought going to the moon is something only the divine could do (asian mythology Wink ), yet there are people who have been the moon, and walked on its surface! Clones were once something that only existed in a sci-fi book, but then Dolly came; maybe all those other things depictured in sci-fis could come true in the future! (Telepathy, telekinetics...alien contact).

In conclusion, there simply can be no limitations put on what could be, unless you are from the future. (which means time travel is not a physical limitation!)
This sounds a lot like the law of attraction, which also doesn't work quite the same way the video claims it does. I'll use my previous example: If one person wished one dead, and another wished the same person to live, what happens?

If we could really will anything to happen, chances are many doomsayers may have willed our world into destruction long ago. There is unlimited potential, but this potential is limited in the physical domain.
hen
hen

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannah Park Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:42 pm

hen wrote: If we could really will anything to happen, chances are many doomsayers may have willed our world into destruction long ago. There is unlimited potential, but this potential is limited in the physical domain.

Didn't it say in one of the packets that positive thoughts have stronger brainwaves than negative thoughts? Therefore the good guys always win... But where is that boundary between good and bad? Isn't there too much gray areas for there to be a universal good and evil? There is why there is whole debate about the ethics of abortions and stem cells...

For example, back in March, there was this article on Time magazine about this NINE year old Brazilian girl who was raped by her stepdad and got pregnant aborted her twins. An Archbishop announced that the Vatican was exocommunicating the family of the girl as well as the doctor who performed the abortion. Being pregnant with twins itself is already hazardous for the girl, but when asked about how the girl was going to deliver the baby, they said she could have a C-section, a major surgery that would put her in risk of infection, respiratory infections and even death, especially in a girl her age carrying twins. Also, a C-section would put the girl at risk if she got pregnant later in her life and had a natural birth. (Her uterus might rupture in an extreme case).

Um...why am I talking about this??? Because...there is no black and white in this situation. Either you kill the twins or put the girl in a life-threatening situation. The only black and whiter part of this story is that the stepdad didn't get exocommunicated, because abusing a girl since she was 6 is supposedly better than having an abortion. Wow, I'm really digressing. But that was fun!

So... the thing is... positive/ good thoughts are stronger. But if someone thought killing is a wonderful part of natural life, would their brainwaves be more positive or negative? And if negative is less strong than positive, there IS a limit: a limit on evil. So there is no unlimited potential for evil? But is there also a limit for the potential of goodness in a human being?...like in The Giver, a seemingly Utopian community turns out to be not so perfect. Is Utopia a possibility, or is it yet a fantasy?
Hannah Park
Hannah Park

Back to top Go down

Post  shawanne Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:51 pm

From one of the sites:

The physical world has physical laws that are very difficult or impossible to break. It takes more power or force of will (intent) to accomplish some tasks/deeds than it does others. Some prescribe to the idea of karma and/or that we have lessons that need to be learned on the physical plane before we are given or can manifest the necessary power to accomplish some goals. Growing a new limb to replace a missing one, for instance, is a very difficult thing to do. It may be that our plan for our self before incarnating was to learn how to deal with physical adversity and that is why we have the missing limb. Mostly (read entirely), the limitations we see are self created.

Also:

My reality does not equal your reality, but my reality is neither > nor < your reality.

What do you guys think?

(I'll respond to previous responses in a sec~)
shawanne
shawanne

Back to top Go down

Post  shawanne Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:58 pm

So... the thing is... positive/ good thoughts are stronger. But if someone thought killing is a wonderful part of natural life, would their brainwaves be more positive or negative? And if negative is less strong than positive, there IS a limit: a limit on evil. So there is no unlimited potential for evil? But is there also a limit for the potential of goodness in a human being?...like in The Giver, a seemingly Utopian community turns out to be not so perfect. Is Utopia a possibility, or is it yet a fantasy?

Question is, what kind of utopia is it? Everyone has a different version of utopia [I'm assuming] and what if those ideas clash? Like what Henning said about one person wanting another person to die and yet another person wanting that same person to live. In biology/math we learned about 'stabilizing selection'/bell curve, in which everything is clumped to the middle and there are no extremes--is this what we end up in?

Discuss, people~!
shawanne
shawanne

Back to top Go down

Post  Fermi Fang Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:47 pm

the matrix has you
ok what... well yea... oh hai there wassup ... physical limitations u see... can u fly? ofcourse not... and why not... cuz its beyond our physical limitations but then think about the matrix... what you believe is realality? then though the physical body may not be able to fly, the spritiual one or what ever the heck thats inside or beyond ones physical is... so yea... there is no spoon..... that pretty much states it all

Fermi Fang

Back to top Go down

Post  shawanne Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:39 pm

the matrix has you
ok what... well yea... oh hai there wassup ... physical limitations u see... can u fly? ofcourse not... and why not... cuz its beyond our physical limitations but then think about the matrix... what you believe is realality? then though the physical body may not be able to fly, the spritiual one or what ever the heck thats inside or beyond ones physical is... so yea... there is no spoon..... that pretty much states it all

Mmhm. Reality is subjective, and not everyone will see one single thing the same way; a rock could be an obstacle to a person, but maybe not to another person. It's still limited to the physical domain, of course,

But even if we can't fly, as Hannah said, we /do/ have airplanes. XD
shawanne
shawanne

Back to top Go down

Post  joannneee Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:03 am

Well, in response to your original question, I'd have to say that the physical limitations aren't really limitations.

We're flying in the air. We're going into outer space. We're defying gravity. If that isn't going out of our boundaries I really don't know what is.

Or perhaps we've just been improving with technology, like Anita says, all along. The thing is that we've just stopped acknowledging it anymore. Going with the example of the guy who talked on the talk show (the one Mr. Swan showed us in Guidance) the guy was complaining about how people cussed the slow connection when thirty years ago the planes didn't even have internet.

So I think our limitations lie where our mind places then. Will we be able to one day transcend our physical capabilities? Maybe. We may create a medicine that can preserve our flesh without killing our cells and brain. Then we can live forever. Who knows? And then maybe one day when we replace our flesh with mechanical arms we can lift a car. Our limitations are the limits in which our creativity gives us. If we're creative, we don't wait until the rock is weathered into dust - we create the thing that destroys the darn rock.

Easy capesy for us to say right now, but isn't that what the law of attraction is? Thinking something makes us do something about it. Wanting to live forever motivates us to makes the medicine that does exactly that. So what are physical limitations? We have forever as a soul to find out. Very Happy
joannneee
joannneee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum