the transparent eyeball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emily Dickenson: Transcendentalist or Not?

2 posters

Go down

Emily Dickenson: Transcendentalist or Not? Empty Emily Dickenson: Transcendentalist or Not?

Post  Joshua Fri May 15, 2009 1:28 am

ahh, finally got around to do my english homework, been caught up with some of my stuff too:P

Is Emily Dickenson a transcendentalist or anti-transcendentalist? I would say that she is both, but expressed at different times and of different topics in discussion. In some of the poems, she shows the elements of the transcendentalist such as individualism and the power of the nature and unlimited potentials. However, this is not enough to classify her as a transcendentlist because there are about the same amount of poems that carries the anti-transcendentalist ideas. In the later poems, she does show her believes and understanding of the dark side and some anti-transcendentalist ideas. She demonstrated different feelings some of which are considered the darker sides and exposed her feelings of the evils.

Emily Dickenson has different ideas and views though because of different problems that she meet at various times of her life. As a transcendentalist she believes and used her mind to set herself free in the society that doesnt allow her to be free, yet she never gave up and is a great transcendentalist in believing that the valuable is withing the inner world of thoughts and being. Yet, somtimes these outer restrains affects her to feel and show her anti-transcendentalist ideas. Just like how people sometimes change and respond to things and lose their orignial beliefs when things change. I guess in these situations, is when humans have to take out their courage and reply and trust on their essence, being, as well as other people.
Joshua
Joshua

Back to top Go down

Emily Dickenson: Transcendentalist or Not? Empty Re: Emily Dickenson: Transcendentalist or Not?

Post  Annie Fu Fri May 15, 2009 8:15 am

jooooooooshh

That's an interesting way to look at this actually, that she later demonstrated that she feels the darker side of things. You mentioned that outer restrains would change her point of view. I do agree with that, but then again she was so reclusive from the world, would she still be under the same amount of pressure from the external environment? Neutral Hmm, or perhaps its because she felt more and more the "darker sides" that she became more and more reclusive? Interesting Shocked Haha but the ideas changing is all part of going with what you feel is right at the moment instead of foolishly trying to be consistent, right?

Thanks for your ideas and making me think! Very Happy
Annie Fu
Annie Fu

Back to top Go down