the transparent eyeball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trans or Anti of Emily

2 posters

Go down

Trans or Anti of Emily Empty Trans or Anti of Emily

Post  BC Mon May 18, 2009 10:06 pm

I think Emily Dickinson is a half half, her poems show that she is entangled messily with the views of antitranscendalists and transcendentalists.

In Jope is the Thing with Feathers, she describes hope, in a natural way, in which she tuly believes in it. In Faith Is a Fine Invention, she tells us to have self reliance/trust. One must be able to trust to see, or if there is no selftrust in the individual, the individual will always seem to be in a hurry. Because everything seems as though it is about to crumble down when there isnt any confidence in self. Thus then we use microscopes in the emergencies we created to temporarily paste out the gaps and holes we created along the way in making ourselves busy.

Yet in "This is My Letter to the World" she shows her suppressed side, and gives a slight mournful feeling to me. She is antisocial, in societal terms, not leaving the garden, not experiencing the outside world, is proabably not what a positive thinker would do. Her depression in society may come from a variety of reasons, but one should not let the external bother the Being. Her lack of muscular activity also thrusts her away from being a true transcendentalist. Although this is Emerson's theoretical thinking, but I suppose Emerson is correct. When one uses her mind so much, such as Dickinson, she is able to reach a higher level of thought, but the minor problems, such as the heartbreaking love she experienced will gradually grow into a major problem. Since there is no contact with oustide nature, situations, she has not drawn upon the raw material to synthesize into a data that can help her solve the problem.

BC

Back to top Go down

Trans or Anti of Emily Empty Re: Trans or Anti of Emily

Post  Andy.S Mon May 18, 2009 10:26 pm

In Jope is the Thing with Feathers
- ROFLMAO

Besides laughing cheerfully, I think you have an interesting perspective. How does "Her lack of muscular activity also thrusts her away from being a true transcendentalist"? Are you suggesting that transcendentalism is to take action or do you mean connecting to Being through the outside nature? Also, to extract raw material from the environment to help Dickinson with her problems is an interesting way to put it. Do you think by going outside Dickinson would have changed her poetry style? I personally think so because sunlight is suppose to give nutrients that make us less depressed and happier.
Andy.S
Andy.S

Back to top Go down

Post  BC Tue May 19, 2009 1:29 am

@Andy
No im just attacking her lifestyle from the basis of Emerson's theory, that physical activity is also required, not just mega brain power ftw OMG0rz...

BC

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down