the transparent eyeball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Dickinson a Transcendentalist?

2 posters

Go down

Is Dickinson a Transcendentalist? Empty Is Dickinson a Transcendentalist?

Post  soph Fri May 15, 2009 12:44 am

I believe Dickinson is leaning towards a transcendentalist point of view. Although she was shut away from the world and involved herself only in the writing of poems in her bedroom, she produced poems that speaks to profound concepts and ideas involved with living in the society. Instead of going out and experiencing living in a society and experiencing all that the world has to offer, she busied herself in contemplations and self reflections, which as expressed in her poems.
I think Dickinson derived ideas and concepts about things in society and life from the inward observation and reflections of herself. Because everyone one of us is connected to the Universal Being, an inward observation and understanding of the innermost self can lead to understandings about the larger world. I believe that she is a good example where the inner self is magnified and displayed on the larger society. Dickinson discovered by probing inward and deep into herself, questions and ideas about the world. This makes her a transcendentalist because she is examining herself intimately, and deriving lessons from this inward exploration about the outer world. This demonstrates the connection between the universal being, essence, and the ego mind based society. That the outer world is merely a mirrored reflection of the inner world and that human actions are a reflection of their thoughts and understanding at the essence level.
Dickinson's isolation has made her distant from the rest of the world, but has brought her close to the inner self and has made her really understand and interact with her own essence. This establishment of her inner connectivity with her essence has led her into an exploration of the outer world through an understanding of her own self. Because all is connected in the universal soul, Dickinson is a transcendentalist because she sought isolation inorder to interact and connect with her essence so that the universal being may be expressed throug her so that she sees the world as it is outside of her being.
soph
soph

Back to top Go down

Is Dickinson a Transcendentalist? Empty Re: Is Dickinson a Transcendentalist?

Post  BC Fri May 15, 2009 10:11 pm

Oh

She has never really exercised bah? In JT's post i replied by saying that, Emerson states that being spiritual doesnt mean to be 100 percent self relfect, uhh, intellectual. Muscular activity is also need, experiencing is also important. The physical world, is present, yet why do we need it if it is as you say, a mirror? and nothing mroe? I deem it as a haven in which we connect with the spiritual world. The physical world is here for us to relax, there would be no need of the arms the feet, the whole body if we our only goal is to self reflect. Thoughts create reality, been hearing this till 耳長繭. But if we can create reality with our own concentrated thoughts, why did the supreme being give us feet for locomotion and arms for whatever they do. Why not a gaint brain with a thicker layer of cortex?

Me thinks that E.D is more like a trans and Anti mushed together. Because she doesnt leave her comfortable surroundings of her house and garden. She might have lost faith i the surrounding society as Jt said, that means she does develop some negative thoughts? Its not the cliche " Always think positive please~" but, negative thoughts will affect the feelings, thus the ego minds strengthens. Then she wrote 800 or so poems, but she was reluctant to publish most of them. Why is that? Poems are her main tool of expressing, of connecting, of freewriting, of gathering insights. Why go againest in publishing them? If one is really detached there is no need to hide wisdom from the population.

BC

Back to top Go down