the transparent eyeball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anti or Transcendentalist?

3 posters

Go down

Anti or Transcendentalist? Empty Anti or Transcendentalist?

Post  ivy Thu May 14, 2009 11:30 pm

From a more general overview, I still believe that Dickinson is tipping toward transcendentalism. She seeks her self identity through her creations, and she also examines whether she should be a foolish follower of religion, or see it as it is from her own eyes. She may have the anti-transcendental beliefs of limited human potential, but a greater portion of herself seeks for a relationship with Nature and her inner being.

Emily Dickinson certainly prevents a view of transcendentalism. From This Is My Letter to the World, Dickinson expresses Nature told her “the simple News.” This shows Dickinson’s relationship with Nature, which is a transcendentalism quality, connecting with Nature. Although Emily Dickinson herself has lived most of her life in her bedroom, she creates her poems through the inspirations of Nature. A typical example is A Narrow Fellow in the Grass, which associates with the danger of Nature. Dickinson may shut herself in her bedroom, but she still has a clear perception of Nature, and she observes Nature and finds inspiration from it.

In I Never Saw a Moor, Emily Dickinson also expresses her views on religion. In the poem, she clearly expresses that she may be restraining herself from connecting to the outer society and the presence of God or Heaven has never been presented to her. However, she still holds a belief that there IS Heaven. Emily Dickinson has discovered herself through the poems she had written, because her poems are her way of expressing of the self. She expresses her belief and speculation on religion through her poems, such as I Never Saw a Moor and Some Keep the Sabbath Going to Church. The personal identity can be defined through her poems, which are the concretes of our understanding to her ideas. Dickinson may have sealed herself away from the society, yet her poems are outlets for her individual qualities and self-examination.

However, there is also a part of anti-transcendentalism. In I Took My Power in My Hand, Dickinson had self-doubt. She did not believe in the human potential that she can achieve her dreams, because she starts to doubt if she can reach her goal. She may have courage, yet when she tried her powers out, she witnessed the fall of her ideals, being either too big for her to achieve, or too little power she had to achieve it.
ivy
ivy

Back to top Go down

Anti or Transcendentalist? Empty Re: Anti or Transcendentalist?

Post  Hannah Park Thu May 14, 2009 11:47 pm

Hi Ivy~
Well, I agree with you on how Emily is trascendentalist in her ideas and her abilty to self-examine (I didn't get that in my post Sad )

I don't get your part about how she tried her powers out and witnessed the fall of her ideals...I think you could've elaborated a bit more there...maybe her reluctance to publish her poems during her life.

In the third paragraph, you said how she's restraining herself from connecting to the outer society...do you think that is more because she's Transendentalist or Anti-Transcendentalist? She could be isolating herself because she knows society confine her(trans) or because maybe she thinks society is evil(anti-trans), or something along those lines... cyclops

Anyway, good job on the very concise Laughing Wink post~~ I love how you managed to avoid run-on paragraphs.
Hannah Park
Hannah Park

Back to top Go down

Post  Ajk Thu May 14, 2009 11:59 pm

ivy wrote:From a more general overview, I still believe that Dickinson is tipping toward transcendentalism. She seeks her self identity through her creations, and she also examines whether she should be a foolish follower of religion, or see it as it is from her own eyes. She may have the anti-transcendental beliefs of limited human potential, but a greater portion of herself seeks for a relationship with Nature and her inner being.

Emily Dickinson certainly prevents a view of transcendentalism. From This Is My Letter to the World, Dickinson expresses Nature told her “the simple News.” This shows Dickinson’s relationship with Nature, which is a transcendentalism quality, connecting with Nature. Although Emily Dickinson herself has lived most of her life in her bedroom, she creates her poems through the inspirations of Nature. A typical example is A Narrow Fellow in the Grass, which associates with the danger of Nature. Dickinson may shut herself in her bedroom, but she still has a clear perception of Nature, and she observes Nature and finds inspiration from it.

In I Never Saw a Moor, Emily Dickinson also expresses her views on religion. In the poem, she clearly expresses that she may be restraining herself from connecting to the outer society and the presence of God or Heaven has never been presented to her. However, she still holds a belief that there IS Heaven. Emily Dickinson has discovered herself through the poems she had written, because her poems are her way of expressing of the self. She expresses her belief and speculation on religion through her poems, such as I Never Saw a Moor and Some Keep the Sabbath Going to Church. The personal identity can be defined through her poems, which are the concretes of our understanding to her ideas. Dickinson may have sealed herself away from the society, yet her poems are outlets for her individual qualities and self-examination.

However, there is also a part of anti-transcendentalism. In I Took My Power in My Hand, Dickinson had self-doubt. She did not believe in the human potential that she can achieve her dreams, because she starts to doubt if she can reach her goal. She may have courage, yet when she tried her powers out, she witnessed the fall of her ideals, being either too big for her to achieve, or too little power she had to achieve it.

Good job, Ivy, with her views inferred from If I Never Saw A Moor.
Ajk
Ajk
Admin

https://transparency.darkbb.com; www.transparenteyeballers.blogsp

Back to top Go down

Post  ivy Fri May 15, 2009 9:44 pm

Hannah Park wrote:
I don't get your part about how she tried her powers out and witnessed the fall of her ideals...I think you could've elaborated a bit more there...maybe her reluctance to publish her poems during her life.

In the third paragraph, you said how she's restraining herself from connecting to the outer society...do you think that is more because she's Transendentalist or Anti-Transcendentalist? She could be isolating herself because she knows society confine her(trans) or because maybe she thinks society is evil(anti-trans), or something along those lines... cyclops

Hmm. The way she witnessed the fall of her ideals is probably the time when she falls in love, yet the person does not love her back. I suppose when you fall for someone hard, and there is no feedback, then you try to seal yourself from any human contact. Isn't that what happened to people who got dumped? So, my guess is that is the time when Dickinson tries her powers out and witnesses the fall of her ideals.

Honestly, I can't really distinguish whether shutting herself away from society is a Transcendentalist idea or an anti. From my point of view, the trans part is she most likely realize that human beings are most likely confining her, because people tend do things out of routine, so they do not pray piously, think critically, and understand thoroughly. She understands there is a standard procedure, so she does not want to become a puppet and follow the traditions people hold. However, the anti part is she thinks human relationships are binding her. Dickinson's heart is broken, so she most likely does not have much faith in people, because the higher the expectations, the harder she falls. I'm not certain which one it is, but these are both reasons that contributes to her isolation.
ivy
ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down